Starting, stopping, or transferring service can usually be done by the following business day after application of service is completed or following a request to stop or transfer service.

Transfer Service:

To transfer your service to another residence within our service area, simply call DES Customer Service Department at (615) 446-9051 or come by our office at 236 Cowan Rd. in Dickson. Only the person whose name the DES account is in may authorize a transfer of electric service.